(SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Sept. 26, 2013) – The Scottsdale Community College volleyball team won its match Wednesdaynight, giving Coach Regina Mannix her 500th career win as head coach.
Ranked no. 4 nationally, the Artichokes defeated Mesa Community College in three straight games, 25-15, 25-23 and 25-13.
With the victory, Coach Mannix becomes the 7th winningest coach among active Division II volleyball coaches. She also ranks 10th among all active NJCAA volleyball coaches and 22nd all-time.
In her 20th season at the helm of SCC’s volleyball team, her overall record as head coach is 500-206.
“It feels good to get this out of the way,” said Coach Mannix following her team’s victory. “It’s nice to have all 500 wins come at SCC.”
Coach Mannix attributed consistency as the biggest reason she’s been able to have success as a head coach.
“We found a recipe that works,” she said. “We have great alums who have come back as volunteers and that helps contribute to the program’s consistency.”
She and her team now turn their attention to earning a Region championship and a berth in the national tournament. The Artichokes are 13-2-1 on the season.
The ‘Chokes host South Mountain Community College Friday, Sept. 27 in an ACCAC match. It begins at 7 p.m. in SCC’s North Gym.
About Coach Mannix
Below are notable team and individual accomplishments during her tenure:
- ACCAC titles in 2001, 2005
- Region titles in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2008
- National appearances in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008
- National runner-up in 2003
- Academic Teams of the Year 7 times
- ACCAC Coach of the Year 2001, 2003, 2006
- American Volleyball Coaches Association Southwest Coach of the Year, 2003 and 2005
- NJCAA District Coach of the Year 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008
- Induction into the NJCAA Coaches Hall of Fame in 2008
Nineteen of her players have become NJCAA All-Americans, 48 were selected all conference, 16 all Region 1 and three players received Player of the Year honors.