The Scottsdale Community College Writing Center staff offers online English tutoring to all registered, for-credit students. Online tutoring appointments are usually ONE HOUR long.
If you wish to receive online tutoring for a writing assignment in English, please read the following and check that you meet the requirements and understand the procedure.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment for online tutoring, call us at 480.423.6416 or stop by LC-379. Be sure to indicate that you’d like to receive tutoring online.
I. Technical Requirements
To receive online tutoring, you’ll need to meet a few technical requirements.
You must have:
- A computer with access to the internet (connection speed is not important);
- An activated student email account (yourMEID@maricopa.edu);
- A microphone and speakers on your computer OR a phone.
If you meet these requirements and have no questions, please skip to section III.
II. Technical Requirements: Details
- Can you receive e-mail on your computer? Can you browse the internet? Then you’ve got what you need to receive online tutoring.
- Before you sign up for online tutoring, be sure to establish your e mail account at MCCCD Student Email. Sign in using your MEID for a username.
- If your computer does not have a camera or mic, a phone number will be provided so you can call your tutor instead.
III. Starting a Tutoring Session
We use WebEx to connect online. This free product is cross platform, so it works with almost any computer. It is also optimized for low bandwidth, so the speed of your connection to the internet is never an issue.
A few minutes before your pre-scheduled online tutoring appointment, your tutor will send you an email invitation to an online room where your tutoring session will take place.
Once you receive an email invitation at your Maricopa.edu address:
- Click on the link in this email.
- WebEx will ask you to enter a display name and email address to join as a guest.
- Your first time, the site will ask you to click and add WebEx to your browser.
- Click “Call Using Computer” to talk to your tutor.
If you do not have a mic and speakers, you can text chat with your tutor, who will provide a phone number for you to call. You and your tutor discuss find the best way to share your document and begin tutoring.
To schedule a one hour online English tutoring appointment, call us at 480.423.6416 or stop by LC-379. Be sure to indicate that you’d like to receive online tutoring and confirm your Maricopa email address with the Writing Center staff.