The Sustainability Program at Scottsdale Community College explores and encourages sustainable operations including; reducing, reusing and recycling consumable materials, utilizing alternative energy sources, and incorporating green technologies in construction. The department promotes learning opportunities, policies and practices that address environmental and social responsibility and lead to a more sustainable future.
To serve as a model of sustainability in a desert environment. To act as a resource for the campus and the surrounding community. To foster ecological literacy and stewardship amongst students, employees and administrators. To become a certified “green” campus utilizing eco-friendly operations, energy sources, and construction. To offer courses and training programs for green-collar jobs and environment related careers.
Who are we?
We are a group of motivated students, faculty & staff striving to make SCC a more sustainable campus. Our goal is to expand our current sustainability programs at SCC, and to work on issues such as; the reduction of energy consumption, water usage, trip-reduction and expanding our sustainability curriculum. We are trying to accomplish those goals by actively engaging people in our projects.
We want to do our part to help save the planet, and we would like you to join us.
Become part of the solution by joining our Sustainability Action Council. For more information on how to get involved visit our website or email us at email@example.com.
How are we doing it?
In 2007, Scottsdale Community College became a proud signatory of the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC), demonstrating its intention to actively reduce factors involved in its operations which cause greenhouse gas emissions, and to take part in the effort to address global climate disruption.
Today, SCC stands alongside more than 670 higher education institutions across the country who have made this commitment, and we are continually researching and applying sustainable best practices to our campus and our operations whenever feasible.
Right now, we are:
- Placing recycyling centers across campus.
- Working with local recycling companies to constantly grow our recycling program.
- Organizing sustainability events such as our annual Earth Day celebration and our RECYCREATION scholarship on campus.
- Making alternative transportation a viable and convenient alternative for everybody on our campus.
- Developing this online resource center that will provide: – Green resources for students, employees, and the greater community – Links to helpful sites and local green vendors – Easy steps to becoming and staying green – Ways to build a green community – Ways to build a green lifestyle – Tips to help you reduce your carbon footprint – Green shopping resources – Green activities around the Valley – Articles about recycling and green living – Green FAQs
“Everything on earth is being continuously transformed, because the earth is alive…and it has a soul. We are part of that soul, so we rarely recognize that it is working for us.”
– Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Please contact us @: